Why do you need a property management company?

We act on behalf of the Landlord and our full management service removes the day to day stresses of managing your property including the collection of rent, dealing with repairs and deposit allocations.

How long should you let the property?

We provide Tenancy Agreements for a period of six or twelve months. After this period the Tenancy Agreement can either be renewed for a further six or twelve months or can proceed onto a periodic basis. With the periodic Tenancy Agreement the original terms of the Tenancy Agreement remain in place and the term rolls onto a monthtomonth basis until one of the parties serves the required Notice.

What happens if the Tenants fail to pay the rent or fail to leave the property when they should?

As your letting Agent we will arrange extensive references on the applicants before issuing a Tenancy Agreement. There are over 750,000 private Landlords in the UK and the majority of them have no idea about their Tenants’ previous history. We have an external referencing agency who have both the expertise and experience to provide us with all of the information required to make an informed decision as to the suitability of the applicants.

Will the Tenants look after your property?

TopMarks Property Ltd carry out regular inspections to ascertain the condition of the property. If there is any sign of a problem the Landlord will be advised and necessary action will be taken.

Will the Tenant pay their rent on time?

The Tenant must pay their rent by Standing Order. The rent is due on the same date of each month which is the same as the move in date. Any late payments will be investigated and reported to the landlord.

How do you market to attract the right enquiries?

We have tested various methods to attract the right enquiries, and we are constantly reviewing feedback from existing tenants to find the best way to market our rooms and properties. We don’t use a lot of complicated jargon like most agents as we find applicants just want to know the facts and clear images to determine if they would like to view a property

Who insures the property?

You must protect your property against the cost of rebuilding or repairing following loss or damage. You should also protect yourself against loss, destruction or damage to furniture and all other property belonging to you or which you are responsible for. With this in mind, you should consider obtaining a Landlords Building and Contents Insurance policy.

How will the deposit be dealt with?

We are a member of the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) and therefore our company complies with the legislation which was introduced from 6th April 2007.

What safety regulations do I need to consider?

Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998: It is a legal duty to carry out an annual safety check on all appliances and central heating systems in a property supplied with gas. The inspection and servicing must be carried out by a “GAS SAFE” registered engineer and a safety certificate issued. We are able to arrange this on behalf of the Landlord. Electrical Equipment (safety) Regulations 1994: Landlords have a constant duty of care to their Tenants. Regular inspections by a qualified electrician should be carried out to ensure safety and that the electrical system complies with current electrical regulations. All portable appliances must be tested by an appropriately qualified electrician. All plugs must conform to British Standards 1363. We are able to assist with this on behalf of the Landlord. The Furniture and Furnishing (fire safety) Regulations 1988 as amended. Upholstered articles(i.e. beds, sofas, armchairs etc.) must have fire resistant filling material. Upholstered articles must have passed a match resistance test or, if of certain kinds (such as cotton or silk) be used with afire resistant liner. The combination of the cover fabric and the filling material must have passed a cigarette resistance test. If furniture complies there should be labels attached. If there are no labels, you must provide proof of the date of purchase. Smoke detectors & Carbon Monoxide alarms. The Landlord must fit at least one smoke detector on each level of the property. Carbon monoxide alarms should be fitted if the property is supplied by gas. We can arrange for these to be fitted upon request.

I am an Overseas Landlord, do I need to make any special arrangements?

The nonresidents Landlord Scheme is a scheme for taxing the UK rental income of nonresident Landlords. The scheme requires UK letting agents to deduct basic rate tax from any rent they collect for nonresident Landlords unless the agent has authority from the Inland Revenue to pay the particular landlord without making tax deductions. Further detailed information can be obtained from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-Landlords.htm

Are we members of any Approved Associations?

Yes, we are members of the following Schemes: Property mark accredited, this Scheme assures we carry out the following:

• Defined standards of customer service to consumers which meets the Property mark accreditation criteria

• Hold Professional Indemnity Insurance

• Hold Client Money Protection Insurance cover

• Provide a written Customer Complaints Handling Procedure to consumers on request

• Meet defined accounting standards in dealing with Client Money and hold clients’ money in a bank account separate to that of the firm’s funds. The Property OmbudsmanThis Scheme can help to resolve any disputes referred by Landlords or Tenants. Deposit Protection SchemeThis scheme is one of the government authorized deposit protection schemes. The scheme has three principle objectives:

• Protect deposits through the Tenancy

• Ensure the return of the deposit promptly at the end of the Tenancy, where there is no dispute about the deposit• Where there is a dispute about the deposit at the end of the Tenancy, ensure it is dealt with fairly and quickly by the Independent Complaints Examiner if necessary

Why not take advantage of our FREE Property MOT call?

During our 30 minute call, we’ll take a look at your property portfolio and current strategy. 

We will establish if, and how we can help you resolve any challenges you are currently experiencing and explain how we will manage your properties to give you peace of mind.

To book your consultation or find out more about us and our services email us at:


Or call us on: 01623 379 967